Saturday 27 June 2009

Lewis set to be named final ‘keeper

Joe Lewis could be set to be handed the gloves for the England Under-21s final against Germany on Monday night, with Joe Hart suspended.

Hart collected his second booking of the tournament during the dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Sweden on Friday, meaning he will now miss out on a final appearance. But Lewis says he is ready to play if called upon.

The 6ft 6ins goalkeeper said: “We’ve trained for the last month getting ready for this to get to the final. I was always training as if I was going to play in every game, so I made sure I was prepared properly should I be selected I’ll be ready.”

Lewis feels for Hart who has been the regular number one in this tournament and he pays tribute to the performances of the Manchester City man. “It’s sad for Hart, I was genuinely gutted for him because he’s been magnificent for us to get us to this stage, but I’m sure whoever’s playing, he’ll give them his full backing.”

Pearce is set to make his decision as to who will play in goal in the next couple of days, with Lewis and Watford goalkeeper, Scott Loach, in contention. Both goalkeepers have so far played 45 minutes each in the group game against Germany, so they will know their opponents well.

England forwards Gabriel Agbonlahor and Frazier Campbell will also be missing through suspension, so Theo Walcott is expected to start as the lone front-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment