Tuesday 23 June 2009

England 'keeper makes his tournament debut

It is not every day that a player plying his trade outside of the top two divisions is able to pull on the famous Three Lions jersey. But that’s what happened on Monday night when Peterborough goalkeeper, Joe Lewis, made his tournament debut for the England Under-21s.

Lewis entered the field at the start of the second half, replacing Scott Loach in the England goal with the game on a knife-edge at 1-1. The winner would finish top of the group.

Lewis did not have much to do as England dominated the second half: “No, but that’s how we like it,” he said. “The defence did their job well, I think generally were happy with the draw obviously we would like the win but we finished top of the group and carried on the momentum for the first two wins and a draw here keep the momentum going for the semi-final.”

The 21 year-old helped Peterborough to two successive promotions, and they will be playing their football in the second tier of English football in the Championship come August.  Would the potential full international consider leaving for a bigger club?

“We’ve had back to back promotions now so it would be a silly time for anyone to level the cub I feel. It’s going to be a massive step for the club and I’m really looking forward to Championship football next season,” he said.

The 6ft 6ins ‘keeper was called up to the full England squad under Capello for the friendlies against Trinidad and tobago and the United States, but he did not make it onto the pitch. He admits though that he would love to play at full international level, but sees it as a long term goal.

“That’s the ultimate aim for any English goalkeeper, to play for England, but I’m not going to get ahead of myself. Club-wise I’m going to keep playing and try to impress at the championship level at the moment I’m unproven at that level so it’s another step for me. I’ve got to prove to certain people and to myself that I’m good enough for that. Fingers crossed in a few years time if I’m playing well for the club then I can look at making the senior squad.”

Joe Hart is the recognised number one for the under-21’s, but if needed Stuart Pearce will know the team would be in safe hands with Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment